We're hiring a Technical Manager to join our Senior Management Team
We have a vacancy for a Technical Manager, this is a full-time position, with some evenings and weekends required. The successful candidate will lead and deliver on all aspects of the technical and production disciplines at Dance Cork Firkin Crane. The technical manager will be a member of DCFC’s Senior Management Team, and work closely with the Executive Artistic Director (EAD) to support the delivery of our presentation and residency programmes as well as rental performances.
Closing date for applications: Open until filled
To apply, please send the below information to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Cover letter outlining your interest in this particular post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute;
*Three referees with contact info.
Purpose of Job
To lead and deliver on all aspects of the technical and production disciplines at Dance Cork Firkin Crane (DCFC). The successful candidate must show a significant understanding and appreciation of the artform of contemporary dance in its many manifestations, and have a curiosity and interest in new approaches to presenting dance in our Heritage Building.
The Technical Manager will be a member of DCFC’s Senior Management Team. The Technical Manager will work closely with the EAD to support the delivery of DCFC’s presentation and residency programmes as well as rental performances. This is a unique opportunity for a creative, efficient, and dedicated individual to help fulfil DCFC’s potential to be a significant national venue for dance.
Firkin Crane is an artist-centred organisation dedicated to dance and dance artists. Key requirements include an ability to oversee all the technical and facilities needs of a mid-sized arts institution with an approach that balances our commitment to:
• Dance artists’ professional development;
• Audience development;
• Community engagement;
• Growth and sustainability.
- To work closely with the EAD on all scheduling, planning, production managing and budgeting productions as well as the theatre’s events, rentals, and other activities.
- Any other production and facilities duties that are deemed reasonable and appropriate by the EAD.
Effective Teamwork and Communication
- To ensure the technical staff responds flexibly and creatively to the artistic demands placed upon it .
- To form effective, creative, and user friendly working relationships with artists, renters, and other team members.
- To form collegial relationships within the field in Ireland.
Leadership and Management
- Provide dynamic leadership and a strategic overview for all technical aspects of DCFC’s programme.
- Represent the organisation at relevant external and internal meetings and events as required.
- Establish and maintain relationships with industry peers.
- To ensure that there are appropriate systems in place for the budgeting and financial control of all technical systems and operations.
- Work closely with the General Manager (GM) and EAD to budget for and estimate costs for all technical production requirements.
- Track costs, agree and manage in conjunction with the GM and EAD.
- Following procurement guidelines /calculating and comparing costs for required goods or services to achieve maximum value for money.
- Manage production / technical day to day operations ensuring at all times cost effective solutions are being implemented.
Health & Safety
- To be directly responsible for the theatre’s Health and Safety remit related to the technical production of the theatre, increasing safety where needed.
- To ensure that effective risk management systems are implemented, and that the policy and its arrangements are fully understood by all employees.
- Work closely with the GM and other team members and consultants to create and maintain a safe working environment; develop records of risk assessment, safe systems of work and training for the department.
- Responsibility for the safety of all plant equipment related to technical production.
- Ensure that all statutory inspections of equipment are carried out.
- Oversee all statutory inspection and certification of Lifting and Safety Equipment is carried out working closely with the technical team.
- To be directly responsible for oversight of DCFC’s building, plant, and equipment and the Jack Lynch House (JLH) artist residence.
- Make suggestions for the improvement of building systems including HVAC and energy use.
- Work with the EAD to develop capital funding proposals.
- To serve as the liaison with Cork City Council’s Property Department on necessary repairs and maintenance of JLH.
The post holder will have:
- At least 7+ years in a production/technical management role.
- Proven knowledge and understanding across a range technical disciplines.
- Experience of national and international touring.
- An in-depth knowledge and understanding of design and production.
- Experience with budgeting and scheduling.
- A working in-depth knowledge of Health and Safety to ensure its effective delivery.
- High level of computer literacy including using software packages such as AutoCAD and or Vector works, Excel and Word. IT skills desirable.
- The ability to work well under pressure.
Remuneration / Benefits
Annual Salary: Salary range €35,000-40,000, commensurate with skills and experience
Holidays: 24 days per annum (including Good Friday & Christmas Eve).
Public Holidays: 10 Public holidays per annum.
Staff Complimentary Tickets: 1 or 2 complimentary tickets for each show at DCFC.
To apply, please send the below information to email@example.com:
- Current CV;
- Cover letter outlining your interest in this particular post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute;
- Three referees with contact info.
Dance Cork Firkin Crane is an equal opportunity employer